KG
Hi Tuscany Families;
The KG students have been enjoying music class and I have been enjoying the KG students.
Success Criteria for the KG students so far includes:
1. I can participate in playing instruments, games and singing.
2. I can show a steady beat.
3. I can feel when my voice is on and when it is off.
4. I can make lip puffing sounds and I can make tongue dancing sounds.
5. I can identify four families of non-pitched percussion instruments. Woods, metals, shaker/scraper, and skin families.
6. I can experience pitch as high, low and medium.
7. I can move and improvise movement to music.
8. I can experience music and movement as fast/slow and loud/quiet.
The KG classes participate in a variety of games that have a particular focus in music. We play games that encourage students to use a solo singing voice and games that help the student to experience music at different tempi and dynamics. They enjoy the opportunity to choose which tempo or dynamic to use.
Music and literacy are always tied together, as sound production is a vital part of singing. Students are learning to feel their voices are on or off by gently touching their throat and speaking or singing. They are also reading letters whose sound production is similar, such as a 'b' and a 'p'. These are sound partners, as each one uses the lips, one with voice on and one with voice off. Ask your child if they can make the two tongue dancing sounds!
Frequently, students think that when we talk about high and low that it is referring to volume or the loudness/quietness of a sound. We have begun to learn that a high pitch is referring to the sound that is heard, which can be high like a little bird, or low like a cow. Some sounds may be in-between those sounds. Practice identifying high and low PITCHES with your child.
We continue to work with a steady beat in various ways, with instruments and tapping on our bodies, through games indirectly and by direct, conscious choice.
Thank you for supporting music at Tuscany! It is a privilege to teach your child in music class!